Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Aftershock and Ernesto by Barry Frauman


AFTERSHOCK
 
My years of sureness are gone,
the brightness of my youth,
which began in ’76
when I was a man of thirty-two:
surging community after Stonewall,
smiling Brothers amid the sex,
gay theater flowering, action groups,
resplendent health paraded every June,
the nights of disco till 3 AM, and then,
“Come home with me?” “Hey, sounds fun.”
 
Now we’ve entered the time of AIDS,
joy eludes me, I can’t keep rewards.
My hands may hold them, but not my mind,
which says farewell
to poems before they're written,
operas still unsung,
and every horny guy before we cum.
 
I live in death‑shadow under the sun,
gazing at firm sweet asses of jeans
in a poisonous breeze of fear.
 
Latino man asleep on a bench
under thick black brows:
His legs sprawl gently in lightning‑white Levi's.
Oh to unzip him, nuzzle him nude,
take all of him in my mouth,
to feast until I die.
 
 
@2012 by Barry Frauman
 


ERNESTO
 
Eleven‑year‑old Mexican man
hardened by wrestling baseball swimming,
midnight thatch of hair to crown
the almond glint of Aztec eyes,
dashing Iberian smile flaring
an angular jaw and slender lips,
protected by knives of older brothers.
 
Shapeless hand‑me‑downs hide you, Ernesto
but, if we were naked, alone,
your buttocks clenched under smooth olive skin
I straddle you, I pry and pry
your fists reach round to pummel my sides,
your face aflame with boyish rage –
No, never.
 
 

 
@2012 by Barry Frauman

No comments:

Post a Comment